Saturday, January 21, 2012

CTA Warrior @ Old Town

Reading a recent Chicago Red Eye article about the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) gave me an idea! I'm going to take different CTA routes over the next few months and hopefully have some great adventures. I'll be on the lookout for three interesting small businesses on each trip, and will report about them on my blog!  I've never understood why people would want to jostle with all the traffic on the Dan Ryan Expressway or Lake Shore Drive, not to mention paying 30 bucks to park in the Loop or just about anywhere downtown, when they could simply jump on a bus or the el....so let's go check out the CTA website: http://www.transitchicago.com/


Journey One - Friday, 20 January 2012 - OLD TOWN - Brown Line El
It was snowing heavily. I took the Brown Line el (towards Kimball) from Randolph and Wabash and got off at Sedgwick (9 minutes, 5 stops).  The journey was uneventful and cost $2.25.  From the Sedgwick stop I walked up North Avenue, turned right on Wells and my first stop was at a pet store:

Collar & Leash Pet Boutique @
1435 N. Wells St.
They carried a nice selection of dog and cat food, treats, toys on the first and second floors but the third floor had puppies in small cages which freaked me out a bit. This is an affluent area so I'm hoping these puppies will go to good homes.
The Spice House@1512 N. Wells St.
http://www.thespicehouse.com/
Exotic spices from around the globe and very helpful staff. I bought some Turkish bay leaves.
"From Adobo Seasoning to Za'atar, we mix it up fresh at The Spice House. If you haven't used our spices before, you'll be surprised how intense the flavors can be when they're freshly ground."
The Twisted Baker@1543 N. Wells St.
Cozy bakery and cafe with brick walls and wooden floors.
I tried the hot apple cider and a trio of cookies: lime, molasses and tea cloud. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment