Thursday, April 12, 2012

Titanic memorial cruise anybody?

It seems a bit bizarre to me that people would want to retrace the voyage of the ill-fated Titanic liner, which hit an iceberg and sank 100 years ago on April 15, 1912.  As the titanic memorial cruise sets sail for a 100 year anniversary voyage this week, I was reminded of an amusing article (below) in the Guardian last summer about "unusual and downright weird tourism marketing gimmicks" such as a vacation where you camp with pigs in Wiltshire. It reminded me of the time when I went to Italy to stay on a farm in Tuscany with my husband...and when we got there, we discovered that we were sleeping in converted pigsties! As my father said on our return: "there's one born every minute"...or, translated into American English, "there's a sucker born every minute".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/aug/22/weird-tourism-marketing-gimmicks?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2127768/Titanic-memorial-cruise-forced-turn-round-just-hours-leaving-dock.html

No comments:

Post a Comment