Sunday, April 1, 2012

Anais Mitchell & John Gorka on WFMT

Listening to Midnight Special on WFMT radio last night (98.7 mh), which featured Anais Mitchell's haunting song "Young Man in America":


Who is the Young Man in America? "I think of him as mythological, a Coyote figure," says Mitchell, "but there's a lot of men I know in him. He's very desirous and very sad...I was watching the news, a family getting evicted from their home, all their furniture out in the street. And this word came into my head: 'Wilderland'. This is a wild place. There's not a lot of trust that you will be taken care of....As for the Young Man, he's in me too, I feel his restlessness a lot. He's a part of me like my dad's old book or like something an old lover said one time. Those parts of ourselves that haunt us, sometimes we have to appease them with an offering of food and wine so they'll quit haunting us for a while. This album is that kind of offering." http://anaismitchell.com/

And they played a song by "new folk" singer John Gorka who will appear at the Old Town School of Folk in Chicago on April 22nd. http://www.oldtownschool.org/concerts/2012/4/22_gorka.php
Here is a trailer for his DVD "A Gypsy Life":



No comments:

Post a Comment