Saturday, May 26, 2012

I, the Lord of Sea and Sky and a May wedding

Photo: Martin & Sarah (by Marge)
Exactly one week ago, on Saturday May 19, I was at my nephew's joyful wedding in England surrounded by the "darling buds of May".  The bride looked radiant (see photo on right) and we sang many nice hymns in church, including "I, the Lord of Sea and Sky" or "Here I am Lord" as it's also known. "The darling buds of May" is from Shakespeare's sonnet 18: Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May | And summer's lease hath all too short a date. This is an appropriate quote given that the wedding reception took place at Hoghton Tower in Lancashire -- and a young William Shakespeare was thought to have lived there as a tutor to the de Hoghton family. http://www.hoghtontower.co.uk/


Here's a version of "I, the Lord of Sea and Sky" as sung by John Michael Talbot:




No comments:

Post a Comment