Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Armistice Day or Veterans Day

  1. Armistice Day (or Veterans Day in the USA) is commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month…"
    I'm attaching two photos -- firstly of my Grandfather, George William Ishmael, in World War I uniform. He saw action on the Italian front in WWI but survived.  Second photo of his brother, Walter Ishmael, who was killed in action on 5th April 1916 near Basra, which was then in Mesopotamia but now in Iraq .

My Grandfather
My Great Uncle

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

~ Ode from the Laurence Binyon poem "For the Fallen"



No comments:

Post a Comment