Tuesday, February 28, 2012

CTA Warrior @ Chinatown

Time for another CTA adventure.  Today I took the red line El from State and Jackson (in the Loop) for three stops to the Cermak-Chinatown station, which took seven minutes and cost $2.25.  Across the street from the subway station was the Three Happiness Restaurant (pink building under the Chinese gate below) where I stopped for lunch. Address: 2130 S. Wentworth Avenue.

Photo of Three Happiness Restaurant: Marge Ishmael

My hairdresser recommended this restaurant. I'm told Three Happiness was a "go to" restaurant in the 70s and 80s. It has a rather faded, forgotten feel to it now. There was an idiot proof Dim Sum menu with pictures and basic descriptions but I decided on the "lunch special" which was a classic egg flower soup (slightly too gelatinous for my tastes); a passable spring roll; some tasty Kung Pao Chicken with steamed rice... plus a pot of hot green tea and a fortune cookie....all for the bargain price of $7.95.

Photo of Gifts R Us : Marge Ishmael
After lunch, I strolled down Wentworth Avenue and called in at "Gifts R Us" @ 2220 S Wentworth Avenue. This place was a typical Chinese emporium, full of gifts from golden Buddhas to cute tea cups and everything in between.


Photo of Woks & Things : Marge Ishmael

My third stop was at "Woks and Things" at 2234 S. Wentworth Ave.  This was a hole-in-the-wall gem of a kitchen store -- crammed with bamboo steamers, cleavers, woks, knives and other culinary gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment